Mobile menu
We are welcoming visitors to our sites again. Read more about our measures to keep everyone safe

Other 16th-century conflicts

Contemporary maps of 10 sixteenth-century wars

With the exception of one item, the few maps and views covering the 10 wars in this section were acquired, in the first instance, by the Italian collector, Cassiano dal Pozzo (1588–1657) and his brother, Carlo Antonio dal Pozzo (1606–89). After Carlo Antonio’s death in 1689, the collection was eventually sold by his grandson to Pope Clement XI (reg. 1700–21) in 1703. In 1714, it passed to the Pope’s nephew, Cardinal Alessandro Albani (1692–1779), from whom it was purchased in 1762 by George III.

These prints formed part of the celebrated ‘Paper Museum’ which was built up by the dal Pozzos from purchases made from the flourishing printmaking industry, primarily in Italy, but also in France, Germany and the Netherlands. Many of the items are rare or are early impressions from the copperplates. They document the conflicts of the day and, in the seventeenth century, were often accompanied by letterpress text giving up-to-date information about, for example, the progress of a siege.

The dal Pozzos took care to arrange and present their prints and drawings in logical subject divisions such as costumes, architecture, portraits, natural history and military conflicts. The items were mounted on paper, sometimes with ink framing lines drawn around the print (mount type A) and sometimes without (mount type B). These two types of paper mount can be seen on the prints of the military engagements in this section.

Schmalkaldic War (1546-7)

Emporer Charles V crossed the Elbe at the Battle of Muhlberg

The Last Valois-Habsburg War (1547-59)

The sieges of Calais and Thionville, and Battles of Saint-Quentin and Gravelines

Italian War (1551-9)

Mirandola in 1551-2

Fourth Ottoman-Venetian War (1570-73)

Including the Battle of Lepanto

French Wars of Religion

The sieges of Paris, Poitiers and Dieppe

Anglo-Spanish War (1585-1604)

The Battle of Sesimbra Bay