Mobile menu

Contemporary maps and prints of the major battles and sieges from 1635 to 1658

Cesare Bassano (1583-1648)

Sainte-Marguerite and Saint-Honorat, 1635

DISEGNO DELL’ ISOLE S.te MARGARITA E, S. ONORATO OCCVPATE E, FORTIFICATE DAL MARCHESE SANTA CROCE 1635 or later

Etching and engraving; printed on paper; mounted on paper (Mount Type A); gilt edges right and bottom | 24.6 x 34.9 cm (image and sheet) | RCIN 722102

Your share link is...

  Close

A high oblique view of the islands of Sainte-Marguerite and Saint Honorat, showing the fortifications and the encampments of the Spanish army. Franco-Spanish War (1635-1659). Oriented with north-east [Greco] to top (compass or wind rose with letters denoting the wind directions).

The invading Spanish naval force comprised a mix of galleys and other ships commanded by the Neapolitans Álvaro de Bazán, 2nd Marquis of Santa Cruz (12 September 1571-1646), García Álvarez de Toledo, 6th Marquis of Villafranca (25 April 1579-21 January 1649) and Lelio Brancaccio (c.1560-1637), Marquis of Montesilvano and Cavaliere di Malta napolitano.

The invasion took place on 13 September 1635 and was followed by a period of a couple of years in which the Spanish forces extended and strengthened existing forts and built new ones before the French re-took the islands in 1637. This print shows the new fortifications and must, therefore, have been made sometime later than 1635.

  • Cesare Bassano (1583-1648) (engraver) [bottom right, inside neatline:] Bassano F.

  • Watermark: Map: none visible. Mount: none.

    Condition: two fold lines; some slight offsetting along the top from what appears to be the title of another copy of the same map; brown discolouration to recto and verso; slight surface dirt to mount; pressure marks from the mounts of items which were kept above and below this map/print in a different collection are present on the recto and verso

     

     

    Old heading: The Islands of S.t Marguerite and S.t Honorat taken by the Spaniards in 1635. Other inscriptions: (Recto) [bottom right, black pencil:] 1635; [top right, black pencil, erased:] S.t Marguerite; [top centre, black pencil, erased, illegible]. (Verso) none.

  • 23.7 x 34.9 cm (neatline)

    24.6 x 34.9 cm (image and sheet)

    cropped (platemark)

    41.0 x 51.2 cm (mount)

  • Printed title:

    DISEGNO DELL’ ISOLE S.te MARGARITA E, S. ONORATO OCCVPATE E, FORTIFICATE DAL MARCHESE SANTA CROCE [across top of view, above neatline]

    Additional text:

    [bottom left, a key, A-E, G-H, K-T, V, X-Z, to the islands and mainland, the French and Spanish fortifications, the Italian infantry quarters, wells, stagnant water, etc.]

    Annotations:

    George III heading: The Islands of S.t Marguerite and S.t Honorat taken by the Spaniards in 1635.

    Other inscriptions: (Recto) [bottom right, black pencil:] 1635; [top right, black pencil, erased:] S.t Marguerite; [top centre, black pencil, erased, illegible]. (Verso) none.

    George III catalogue entry:

    Marguerite, Ste Disegno dell’ Isole S. Margarita e S. Onorato occupate e fortificate dal Marchese Santa Croce, 1635: da Bassano. [The same entry appears under the heading Honorat, S.t.]

  • From the collection of Cassiano dal Pozzo (1588-22 October 1657); inherited by his brother, Carlo Antonio dal Pozzo (1606-1689); sold by Carlo Antonio’s grandson to Clement XI, 1703; acquired by Cardinal Alessandro Albani by 1714, from whom purchased by George III in 1762

  • Subject(s)

    Île Sainte-Marguerite, Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azure, France (43°31ʹ08ʺN 07°03ʹ04ʺE)

    Île Saint-Honorat, Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azure, France (43°30ʹ27ʺN 07°02ʹ45ʺE)

  • Bibliographic reference(s)

    M. McDonald, The Print Collection of Cassiano dal Pozzo. Part II, Architecture, Topography and Military Maps, 3 vols, London 2019, cat. no. 2998

    P. Gioffredo, Monumenta Historiae Patriae edita iussu Regis Caroli Alberti. Scriptores IIStoria delle Alpi Marittime, XXVI, Augustaae Taurinorum e Regio Typographeo, 1839,  [not paginated], columns 1882-3

Page revisions