Mobile menu
Our sites are temporarily closed. More info. Browse the Collection or shop online

Printed and manuscript maps, prints and views of 22 seventeenth-century wars

Marco Boschini (1613-81)

Chanea, 1645 1645 or later

Etching; printed from two copperplates on two sheets of paper, joined; mounted on paper (mount cropped; Type B) | 70.8 x 45.6 cm (image and sheet) | RCIN 723060

Your share link is...

  Close

A high oblique view of the Ottoman landing in the Bay of Gognà on 24 June 1645 and of Canea, besieged from 27 June by Ottoman forces resulting in the capitulation of the town on 22 August. Cretan War (1645-1669). Oriented with west to top (compass rose; T= Tramontana or North).

This view shows Cape Spada, top right, where the Ottoman navy was first sighted on 23 June. The Turkish forces are shown disembarking about 15 miles west of Canea. Flames are shown billowing from the fort on the southern side of the little island of St Todero (B), which has been blown up, together with its garrison, by the commanding officer Blasio Zulian. The siege of Canea is shown as ongoing and must, therefore, represent events before the surrender of the town on 22 August.

The quarters of provvidatore generale Andrea Corner (governor of Crete) are drawn bottom left together with some of the relief boats sent by the Venetians.

  • Marco Boschini (1613-81) (engraver) [right, at bottom of text panel:] MARCO BOSCHINI INTAGLIO

  • Watermark: Flag with letters to the side

    Condition: two fold lines; slight brown discolouration

  • 70.8 x 45.6 cm (image and sheet)

    cropped (platemark)

  • Printed title:

    None

    Annotations:

    George III heading: Canea June 1645.

    Other annotations: none.

    George III catalogue entry:

    Canea A Plan of part of the Coast of the Island of Candia, with the landing of the Turks at Gogna on the 24.th of June 1645, the taking of Fort S. Todoro, and the Siege of Canea: by Marco Boschini. 2 sheets.

  • From the collection of Cassiano dal Pozzo (1588-22 October 1657); inherited by his brother, Carlo Antonio dal Pozzo (1606-1689); sold by Carlo Antonio’s grandson to Clement XI, 1703; acquired by Cardinal Alessandro Albani by 1714, from whom purchased by George III in 1762

  • Subject(s)

    Chanea [Canea], Crete, Greece (35°30ʹ40ʺN 24°01ʹ45ʺE)

  • Bibliographic reference(s)

    Mark McDonald, The Print Collection of Cassiano dal Pozzo. Part II, Architecture, Topography and Military Maps, 3 vols, London 2019, cat. no. 3171

    K.M. Setton, ‘Venice, Austria, and the Turks in the seventeenth century’, American Philosophical Society 1991, vol. 192, pp. 126-7

Page revisions