Mobile menu

Mapping collected by William Augustus, Duke of Cumberland

Anonymous

Sas van Gent, 1748

Carte particuliere depuis le fort de / Saint Andre jusques a trois quart de / Lieues audessus du fort Biervliet, et / les Environs D’axel et de Terneuse avec / une partie de la flotte de Mr. le Marechal / de Louwendal... 1748 or later

Pencil, pen, ink and watercolour on paper | Scale: 1:41,300 approx. | RCIN 731004

Your share link is...

  Close

A map of the area between Sas van Gent, Terneuzen and Axel, showing the fortifications, polderlands, and French fleet in the Scheldt, 1748. War of the Austrian Succession (1740-48). Oriented with north to top. 

The draughtsman of this map appears to have distinguished the land between high and low water marks by stippling over a red wash. Polders, described as an expanse of land surrounded by embankments, are named and mainly coloured with a greenish wash; what appear to be the embankments are coloured yellow and may also have carried roads; the double pecked lines may have been old embankments, redundant once the land had been reclaimed, but possibly marking the existence of a track or road. The map covers the area between Fort Philipine (Philippine 51°16'51"N 03°45'35"E), Axel (51°16'00"N 03°54'30"E), and Terneuse (Terneuzen 51°20'09"N 03°49'40"E).

  • Anonymous (cartographer)

  • Watermark: Indistinct: fleur-de-lys in crowned shield

    Mark, stamped: 719

    Condition: six fold lines. Verso: induced discolouration; surface dirt

  • Scale: 1:41,300 approx. Scale bar: Echelle de trois quart de Lieues de Brabant [118 mm =].

    54.3 x 51.4 cm (image and neatline)

    58.5 x 53.2 cm (sheet)

  • Manuscript title:

    Carte particuliere depuis le fort de / Saint Andre jusques a trois quart de / Lieues audessus du fort Biervliet, et / les Environs D’axel et de Terneuse avec / une partie de la flotte de Mr. le Marechal / de Louwendal levé tres Exactement sur / les lieux le 3e mars 1748. [bottom left, in rectangular panel]

    Additional text:

    [bottom right, in rectangular panel:] polder signifie une Etendue de / paiis Environné de digues [and a symbol which:] signifie Redoutes [in a different hand, or written later:] chaque son / ocupé au [bort] de la Schelde / de 20 home et 1 lieutenant il se trouve / dans ces Redoutte [?].

    Annotations:

    George III heading: Environs of AxelSas of Ghent and Ter Neuse 3 March 1748.

    Other annotations: (Recto) none. (Verso) [right centre, edge, black pencil:] 62 [and] 13; [bottom right, black pencil:] 15; [right edge, black pencil, indistinct:] Sas de Gent [& Axel –fr.?]; [bottom left, black pencil:] Dutch Flanders. [top left, black pencil, indistinct:] CXXVII; [top centre, red pencil:] 63.

    George III catalogue entry:

    Sas of Ghent Carte dessinée des Environs d'Axel, Sas de Gand et Ter Neuse, avec une partie de la Flotte du Marechal de Louwendal, le 3 Mars 1748. [The same entry appears under the headings Axel and Ter Neuse.]

  • Probably from the collection of military and naval maps and prints formed by Prince William Augustus, Duke of Cumberland (1721-65), third son of George II; subsequently acquired by George III (1738-1820)

     

  • Subject(s)

    Sas van Gent, Zeeland, Netherlands (51°13'39"N 03°47'55"E)

Page revisions