Mobile menu

Mapping collected by William Augustus, Duke of Cumberland


St Peter's Hill, 1747

PLAN / Du Retranchement françois / razé au 15 d'Aout / 1747 1747 or later

Pencil, pen, ink and watercolour on paper | Scale: 1:6,800 approx. | RCIN 730169

Your share link is...


A map of the old French encampment, and the fortified line, destroyed by the Allied army, 15 August 1747. War of the Austrian Succession (1740-48). Oriented with south to top.

The Geere River, marked on this map, is variously named on other maps as the Jaar, Geere, and Necker River. Today it is the Geer or, in its upper reaches, the Jeker. It flows into the Albert Canal just south of Maastricht. The construction of the field fortification and encampment shown on this map was made and occupied by the French in the aftermath of the Battle of Lafelt (2 July 1747). The fortifications were apparently destroyed within 24 hours of the French leaving the area.

  • Anonymous (cartographer)

  • Watermark: Cropped: fleur-de-lys in crowned shield, a ‘4’ suspending the letters WR below

    Mark, stamped: 689

    Condition: three fold lines. Verso: surface dirt; induced discolouration

  • Scale: 1:6,800 approx. Scale bar: Echelle de 500 Pas [59 mm =].

    15.7 x 23.9 cm (neatline)

    16.2 x 24.3 cm (image)

    16.8 x 24.6 cm (sheet)

  • Manuscript title:

    PLAN / Du Retranchement françois / razé au 15 d'Aout / 1747. [top left, in rectangular panel]


    George III heading: S.Peter's Hill 15 Aug.t 1747.

    Other annotations: (Recto) none. (Verso) [top left, black pencil:] XIII/53.

    George III catalogue entry:

    Peter's Hill, S.t Plan dessiné du Retranchement Francois sur le Mont de S.t Pierre, razé le 15 Aout 1747.

  • Probably from the collection of military and naval maps and prints formed by Prince William Augustus, Duke of Cumberland (1721-65), third son of George II; subsequently acquired by George III (1738-1820)


  • Subject(s)

    Sint Pietersberg, Limburg, Netherlands (50°49'15"N 05°41'08"E)

Page revisions