Mobile menu

Maps, views and documents from 19 wars

William Eyres (d. 1764)

Camp at Cullen, 1746

PLAN of the CAMP / at / CULLEN 11th April 1746 c.1746

Pencil, pen, ink and watercolour on paper; laid down on linen | Scale: 1:5,350 approx. | RCIN 730012

Your share link is...


One of a suite of maps showing the campsites along the route of the march of Cumberland's army towards Culloden. Jacobite Rebellion (1745-6). Oriented with west to top.

Cumberland's headquarters are marked at Cullen House, and the main part of the army bestrides the old road from Banff, on Gallows Hill (not named) on what are now the outskirts of the new town of Cullen. The separate roads taken by the first and second columns of march, and the bridged and forded crossing points of the Burn of Cullen (not named) are indicated.

  • William Eyres (d. 1764) (draughtsman and surveyor) [bottom right, inside border:] Will: Eyres Engin.r

  • Watermark: Horn in a shield, crown above, the letters G R below; countermark: the letters H [?R]

    Mark, stamped: 494

    Condition: one fold line; brown stains and foxing to both sides, especially on verso. Verso: top left, water-stained patch and shadow from the removal of Cumberland's cipher label

  • Scale: 1:5,350 approx. Scale bar: [77 mm =] 450 yards.

    37.7 x 47.4 cm (neatline)

    37.7 x 47.4 cm (image)

    38.4 x 48.3 cm (sheet)

  • Manuscript title:

    PLAN of the CAMP / at / CULLEN 11th April 1746.


    George III heading: Encampment at Cullen 11 April 1746.

    Other annotations: (Recto) [bottom left, black pencil]: VIII/11. (Verso) [bottom left, ink or black pencil, obscured by linen backing:] 9 [or 6]; [bottom right, black pencil:] 1746; [centre, red pencil, obscured by linen backing:] 11.

    George III catalogue entry:

    Encampment A drawn Plan of the Encampment of His Majesty’s Army under the command of the Duke of Cumberland at Cullen, April 1746: by Lieut. W. Eyres Eng.r [The same entry appears under the heading Cullen.]

  • From the collection of military and naval maps and prints formed by Prince William Augustus, Duke of Cumberland (1721-65), third son of George II; subsequently acquired by George III (1738-1820)

  • Subject(s)

    Cullen (Moray District, Scotland, UK) 57°41'25"N 02°49'05"W​

Page revisions