Mobile menu

Mapping collected by William Augustus, Duke of Cumberland

Daniel Paterson (d. 1749)

Fortifications at St Peter's Hill, 1747 c.1747

Pencil, pen and ink on paper | Scale: not stated. 1:23,500 approx. | RCIN 730158.b

Your share link is...

  Close

A sketch of the proposed line at St Peter's Hill near Maastricht, 1747. War of the Austrian Succession (1740-48). Oriented with west to top.

This plan is a rough sketch of the area between the rivers Geer and Maas, south of St Peter's Fort, showing the projected line. Roads are sketched in and the position of an old intrenchment to the south-west of the line is shown. This appears to be part of the compilation materials used for Daniel Paterson's fair drawing of the area at RCIN 730159, on which the alignment of the fortified line, or intrenchment, is slightly different. The unnamed settlements west of the River Geer are, by reference to RCIN 730159, probably Enneekam, Leaubergh, and Op Can (Kanne 50°48'47"N 05°40'10"E).

One of eight sketches of the line and encampment on the west bank of the Maas which was part of the Allied army encampments which were made to the south and east of Maastricht after the Battle of Lafelt (2 July 1747), and while the siege of Bergen op Zoom (14 July-18 September 1747) was being conducted. The geographical relationship between the camp at St Peter's Hill and the rest of the army is shown on RCIN 730142. See RCINs 730158.a-h.

All formerly contained in a rough greenish-buff paper folder: 54.4 x 31.0 cm [folded]. The George III heading is written on the front of the folder, together with an ink inscription: No. 671-678; and a black pencil note in a modern hand: (a-h) Nov '86 CMB [i.e. 1986].

  • Daniel Paterson (d. 1749) (surveyor and draughtsman) [bottom right, signed:] Dan Paterson.

  • Watermark: Cropped: Pro Patria; countermark: the letters GR with a crown above

    Mark, stamped: 672

    Condition: two fold lines

  • Scale: not stated. 1:23,500 approx.

    18.1 x 23.1 cm (sheet and image)

  • Manuscript title:

    No title

    Annotations:

    George III heading: S.Peter's Hill 1747.

    Other annotations: none.

    George III catalogue entry:

    Peter's Hill, S.t Eight drawn Sketches of the Works on S.t Peter's Hill near Maestricht in 1747: by Dan.l Paterson and W.m Eyres Eng.rs

  • Probably from the collection of military and naval maps and prints formed by Prince William Augustus, Duke of Cumberland (1721-65), third son of George II; subsequently acquired by George III (1738-1820)

     

  • Subject(s)

    Maastricht, Limburg, Netherlands (50°50'54"N 05°41'20"E)

    Sint Pietersberg, Limburg, Netherlands (50°49'15"N 05°41'08"E)

Page revisions