Mobile menu

Mapping collected by William Augustus, Duke of Cumberland

William Eyres (d. 1764)

Maastricht and St Peter's Hill, 1747

PLAN of the WORK'S / at / S.T PETER'S c.1747

Pencil, pen, ink and watercolour on paper; laid down on two pieces of linen sewn together | Scale: 1:7,300 approx. | RCIN 730156

Your share link is...

  Close

A map of the line and encampment of the Allied army at St Peter's Hill near Maastricht, 1747. War of the Austrian Succession (1740-48). Oriented with west to top.

A large scale map showing the relationships of the fortified line and the encampment to the terrain. Extends from St Peter's Fort (50°50'09"N 05°41'05"E) in the north to Coster (i.e. Castor 50°48'28"N 05°40'53"E) in the south; the distance between Lichtenberg Castle (50°49'21"N 05°41'39"E) and Castor, as shown on the map, is not true to scale. The lines of a previous, undated, field fortification are shown to the west. The line and encampment shown here on the west bank of the Meuse were part of the Allied army encampments which were made to the south and east of Maastricht after the Battle of Lafelt (2 July 1747), and while the siege of Bergen op Zoom (14 July-18 September 1747) was being conducted. The geographical relationship between the camp at St Peter's Hill and the rest of the army is shown on RCIN 730142.

  • William Eyres (d. 1764) (surveyor and draughtsman) [bottom left, bottom right of title:] Will: Eyres.

  • Watermark: Fleur-de-lys; countermark: IV

    Mark, stamped: 669

    Condition: two fold lines. Verso: foxing

  • Scale: 1:7,300 approx. Scale bar: [100 mm =] 800 yards.

    35.5 x 46.0 cm (neatline)

    35.5 x 46.2 cm (image)

    37.4 x 47.1 cm (sheet)

  • Manuscript title:

    PLAN of the WORK'S / at / S.T PETER'S. [bottom left]

    Annotations:

    George III heading: S.t Peter's Hill 1747.

    Other annotations: (Recto) [top left, black pencil:] B. (Verso) [top left, black pencil:] VII/34 [and] XIII/49-q [or 2].

    George III catalogue entry:

    Peter's Hill, St A drawn Plan of the Works at S.t Peters near Maestricht in 1747: by W.m Eyres Eng.r

  • Probably from the collection of military and naval maps and prints formed by Prince William Augustus, Duke of Cumberland (1721-65), third son of George II; subsequently acquired by George III (1738-1820)

     

  • Subject(s)

    Maastricht, Limburg, Netherlands (50°50'54"N 05°41'20"E)

    Sint Pietersberg, Limburg, Netherlands (50°49'15"N 05°41'08"E)

Page revisions