Mobile menu
Welcome back to the royal residences. Find out more about our measures to keep you safe.

The Rhine and Moselle rivers and parts of Italy

Anonymous

Rhine, 1735

PLAN der Postirung, Kaÿserlichen Seiten am = Rhein, / Mense Aug[t]: 1735 1735 or later

Pencil, pen, ink and watercolour on paper; laid down on paper | Scale: 1:575,000 approx. | RCIN 727069

Your share link is...

  Close

A map of the stations of the Imperial army along the right bank of the Rhine in August 1735, giving the names of the regiments and the numbers of battalions or squadrons in each, at each place. War of the Polish Succession (1733-8). Oriented with north to top.

The map extends from Bingen (Bingen am Rhein 49°58ʹ00ʺN 07°53ʹ57ʺE) in the north-west to Ettlingen (48°56ʹ27ʺN 08°24ʹ27ʺE) in the south.

  • Anonymous (cartographer)

  • Watermark: Map, cropped: horn in shield, a ‘4’ below and the letters I V G. Backing paper: same watermark?

    Mark, stamped: 255

    Condition: two fold lines

  • Scale: 1:575,000 approx. Scale bar: [42 mm = ] 5 Stunden.

    19.6 x 16.0 cm (neatline)

    19.9 x 16.4 cm (image)

    21.9 x 17.1 cm (sheet)

  • Manuscript title:

    PLAN der Postirung, Kaÿserlichen Seiten am = Rhein, / Mense Aug[t]: 1735. [top, in banner cartouche]

    Additional text:

    [bottom left, in cartouche representing a ruined stone plinth, decorated, top, with the accoutrements of war, with plants growing out of the side, and with a reclining Roman soldier, a key, 1-39, giving the place-names and the names of the regiments stationed there, together with the numbers of the battalions or squadrons of each.]

    Annotations: 

    George III heading: Cantonments on the Rhine in 1735. Other annotations: (Recto) none. (Verso) [bottom left, obscured by paper backing, ink or black pencil:] 15.

    George III catalogue entry:

    Rhine Plan der Postirung Kayserlichen Seiten am Rhein, mense Augusti 1735. drawn. [The same entry appears under the heading Cantonment.]

  • Probably from the collection of military and naval maps and prints formed by Prince William Augustus, Duke of Cumberland (1721-65), third son of George II; subsequently acquired by George III (1738-1820)