Mobile menu
Welcome back to the royal residences. Find out more about our measures to keep you safe.

Maps and views, correspondence and journals from the first global war

? William Eyres (d. 1764)

Fort Niagara, 1759 c.1759

Pencil, black and red ink and watercolour on paper; laid down on linen | Scale: not stated. 1:11,000 approx. | RCIN 732108

Your share link is...

  Close

A map of Fort Niagara. French and Indian War (1754-63). Oriented with south to top (cardinal points). 

Attributed to William Eyres on stylistic grounds. Not drawn to scale; distances are indicated on the map. Shows the encampment of the 16th and 44th Regiments, the New Yorkers and Royal Americans and the batteries on the south side of the river. The buildings within the fort include the Large House, barracks, Guard House, powder magazine, bake-House, smith's, St Peter's Church, storehouses, drawbridge gate and a little gate.

The George III catalogue entry refers to Sir William Johnson (c.1715-74), who was British agent to the Iroquois and, in 1756, was appointed British Superintendent of Indian Affairs for the northern colonies. He was responsible for capturing Fort Niagara from the French in which action he led about 1,000 Iroquis Indians.

  • ? William Eyres (d. 1764) (draughtsman)

  • Watermark: Fleur-de-lys in crowned shield, a ‘4’ suspending the leters L V G below

    Mark, stamped: 883

    Condition: no fold lines; brown discolouration. Verso: induced discolouration

  • Scale: not stated. 1:11,000 approx.

    21.2 x 33.9 cm (image and sheet)

    20.7 x 33.8 cm (neatline)

  • Printed title:

    No title

    Additional text:

    [bottom right, an explanatory key, 1-10, to the features on the map:] Explanation.

    Annotations:

    George III heading: Fort Niagara 25 July 1759.

    Other annotations: (Recto) none. (Verso) [bottom right, red pencil:] 13/71-3; [bottom right, black pencil:] XVI/42-[x].

    George III catalogue entry:

    Niagara A drawn Plan of Fort Niagara taken by Sir W.m Johnson, 25.th July 1759.

  • Probably from the collection of military and naval maps and prints formed by Prince William Augustus, Duke of Cumberland (1721-65), third son of George II; subsequently acquired by George III (1738-1820)

  • Subject(s)

    Fort Niagara, New York, USA (43°15'42"N 79°03'03"W)

  • Bibliographic reference(s)

    D.K. Richter, ‘Johnson, Sir William, first baronet (1715?–1774)’, Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, 2004; online edition, Jan 2008.

Page revisions